Cannot Change Default PDF Program FROM Adobe to Other
I like to use FoxIt reader, a light-weight alternative to Adobe Acrobat, when reading PDFs on my Win7 Pro machine. In previous versions of Windows (and in W7 Beta and RC), I was able to change from Acrobat to FoxIt using either the Default Programs selector
in the Control Panel, or by right-clicking and selecting "Open With" and then "Choose Default Program".
While I can do both of these things in Win7, the files re-associate with Acrobat very shortly afterward--like less than 5 minutes.
Any idea what I can do to stop this from happening? It's really annoying.
Anwsers to the Problem Cannot Change Default PDF Program FROM Adobe to Other
Thank you for posting to the Microsoft Answers Forum.
I would suggest doing a clean boot to see if there is a 3rd party program or software that may be changing your association.
1) Go to start > run...
(this is the search bar in vista or windows 7)
2) Type "msconfig" and press enter.
This will be bring up the Microsoft Configuration Utility.
3) Click on the Services tab, then check the box that says "Hide Microsoft Services"
4) Click on Disable All.
This disables all of the services except for Microsoft's Default Services.
This prevents 3rd party software and malware from interfering with the PC on the next Reboot.
5) To stop all additional programs from starting with windows, click on the "Startup" tab and disable every item listed.
6) Click Apply, Ok, and Reboot.
This will put Windows into a clean boot state.
You can now test to see if FoxIt reader will keep the association.
Starting adding programs back a few at a time in the Startup tab to see if you can determine if one of them is changing the default association.
How to set your computer back, to boot normal:
Click the Start orb on your Desktop
In the Start Search box.
Type msconfig, and then press ENTER.
If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.
Click the General tab.
Click Normal Startup - load all device drivers and services, and then click OK.
When you are prompted, click Restart to restart the computer.
Please reply back with an update to let us know if the suggestion helped to resolve your issue.
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think
Manually editing the Windows registry
Manually editing the Windows registry to remove invalid MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION keys is not recommended unless you are PC service professional. Incorrectly editing your registry can stop your PC from functioning and create irreversible damage to your operating system. In fact, one misplaced comma can prevent your PC from booting entirely!
Caution: Unless you an advanced PC user, we DO NOT recommend editing the Windows registry manually. Using Registry Editor incorrectly can cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall Windows. We do not guarantee that problems resulting from the incorrect use of Registry Editor can be solved. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.
To manually repair your Windows registry, first you need to create a backup by exporting a portion of the registry related to MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION (eg. Windows Operating System):
- Click the Start button.
- Type "command" in the search box... DO NOT hit ENTER yet!
- While holding CTRL-Shift on your keyboard, hit ENTER.
- You will be prompted with a permission dialog box.
- Click Yes.
- A black box will open with a blinking cursor.
- Type "regedit" and hit ENTER.
- In the Registry Editor, select the Error 0x9C-related key (eg. Windows Operating System) you want to back up.
- From the File menu, choose Export.
- In the Save In list, select the folder where you want to save the Windows Operating System backup key.
- In the File Name box, type a name for your backup file, such as "Windows Operating System Backup".
- In the Export Range box, be sure that "Selected branch" is selected.
- Click Save.
- The file is then saved with a .reg file extension.
- You now have a backup of your MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION-related registry entry.
Recommended Method to Repair the Problem: Cannot Change Default PDF Program FROM Adobe to Other:
How to Fix Cannot Change Default PDF Program FROM Adobe to Other with SmartPCFixer?
1. Download SmartPCFixer. Install it on your system.
2. After the scan is done, you can see the errors and problems need to be fixed. Click Fix All.
3. The Fixing part is finished, the speed of your computer will be much higher than before and the errors have been fixed.
Related: Best Way to Update & Download Toshiba Satellite A205-S4607 Speech System v.1.00.2520 driver,[Solved] Download Toshiba Satellite C655D-S9511D Face Recognition v.3.1.17 driver,How to Download Toshiba Satellite L655-S5106BN Media Controller Plug-in v.126.96.36.199 driver,Download Toshiba Satellite L845-SP4281RM PC Health Monitor v.188.8.131.52 driver,How Can You Update & Download Toshiba Satellite Pro U500-EZ1321 Web Camera Application v.184.108.40.206 driver,Best Way to Download NVidia GeForce 6100 VGA Driver v.304.51 Certified,How Can You Update & Download NVidia GeForce 9300/nForce 730i VGA Driver v.310.19 Certified,Method to Download NVidia GeForce GT 330M Driver v.340.65,How Can I Update & Download NVidia GeForce GTX 590 Driver v.280.26 WHQL,Method to Download NVidia Tesla C2050 Driver v.319.17,Way to Download RealTek RTL8100C(L) Driver v.5.01,Way to Download RealTek RTL8100E Drivers v.694,Way to Update & Download RealTek RTL8101L Auto Installation Program v.6.110 driver,Method to Update & Download RealTek RTL8111G PXE and RPL ROM code v.2.58 driver,How to Update & Download RealTek RTL8411B(N) Driver v.10.003,Best Way to Update & Download ASUS A53SV nVidia Graphics Driver v.220.127.116.1186,Method to Herunterladen ASUS K75VJ Intel Rapid Storage Technology Treiber v.18.104.22.1680,How Can You Update & Download ASUS CG8580 Intel Chipset Driver v.22.214.171.1249,Method to Update & Download ASUS K41VD Intel INF Update Driver v.126.96.36.1995,Way to Update & Download ASUS Pro70T NB Probe v.3.0.0026 driver
Read More: [Solved] Cannot log in,How to Resolve - Cannot open downloads??,Fast Solution to Error: Cannot install updates KB973923, KB973688 (error code 643) and KB949810 (error code 80070643),Troubleshooting:Cannot load videos online,How to Resolve - Cannot connect ipad to VAIO via bluetooth?,Can't download PP templates automatically to Windows 7 w/IE 8,Can't change drive letter - Vista,Can't change homegroup sharing permission,Can't connect XP shared printer to Win7 except as a local printer.__,Can You Connect the LAN Adapter for Wii On your Windows 7 Laptop?