December 12th updates killed my win 8 install
I had a windows automatic update session on December 12th 2012.
After the install the start screen was completely unresponsive.
I tried to boot into safe mode I could not.
I could only access the task manager screen, and could only log off switch users or
shutdown or restart.
I booted using a win 8 Pro install disc I tried several of the advanced repairs none would work so I opted for a refresh, this did little or nothing, other than blowing out all of my office files...
I was able to log in using my domain admin credentials, reset the machine admin password (which no longer worked) once logged on I has access to a new profile tried to do a system restore, it was greyed out (as it had been when I tried from the win8 boot
I looked for my documents which seemed to be all there I copied them to a flash drive so most of what was lost I could retrieve ( my outlook.pst file was no where to be found..
I was able to get a small amount of functionality back to the start screen with my original profile enough to get to the desktop and check for updates there were still 19 there and at least 4 more cumulative after that.
That did little to fix the problem.
I've moved back into my win7 box, and I'm ready to give up on the win8 pro install.
With backups and the like I've only lost 11 days worth of e-mails, any changes made to my contacts, so all in all not a disaster.
This was a huge disappointment.
I am a domain admin and was evaluation win 8 for a possible replacement for win 7.
My suggestion for what it's worth, wait for SP1, and I am loosing faith in the automatic update process.
Keys to the Problem December 12th updates killed my win 8 install
Manually editing the Windows registry
Manually editing the Windows registry to remove invalid MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION keys is not recommended unless you are PC service professional. Incorrectly editing your registry can stop your PC from functioning and create irreversible damage to your operating system. In fact, one misplaced comma can prevent your PC from booting entirely!
Caution: Unless you an advanced PC user, we DO NOT recommend editing the Windows registry manually. Using Registry Editor incorrectly can cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall Windows. We do not guarantee that problems resulting from the incorrect use of Registry Editor can be solved. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.
To manually repair your Windows registry, first you need to create a backup by exporting a portion of the registry related to MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION (eg. Windows Operating System):
- Click the Start button.
- Type "command" in the search box... DO NOT hit ENTER yet!
- While holding CTRL-Shift on your keyboard, hit ENTER.
- You will be prompted with a permission dialog box.
- Click Yes.
- A black box will open with a blinking cursor.
- Type "regedit" and hit ENTER.
- In the Registry Editor, select the Error 0x9C-related key (eg. Windows Operating System) you want to back up.
- From the File menu, choose Export.
- In the Save In list, select the folder where you want to save the Windows Operating System backup key.
- In the File Name box, type a name for your backup file, such as "Windows Operating System Backup".
- In the Export Range box, be sure that "Selected branch" is selected.
- Click Save.
- The file is then saved with a .reg file extension.
- You now have a backup of your MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION-related registry entry.
Another Safe way to Repair the Problem: December 12th updates killed my win 8 install:
How to Fix December 12th updates killed my win 8 install with SmartPCFixer?
1. Download SmartPCFixer . Install it on your computer. Click Scan, and it will perform a scan for your computer. The errors will be shown in the scan result.
2. After the scan is finished, you can see the errors and problems which need to be repaired.
3. The Repair part is done, the speed of your computer will be much higher than before and the errors have been fixed. You can also use other functions in SmartPCFixer. Like dll downloading, windows updating and print spooler error repair.
Related: How to Update & Download NVidia GeForce 6100/nForce 420 WHQL Certified driver v.178.13,How to Update & Download NVidia GeForce 7600 GS Video Driver v.295.75 Certified,How Can I Update & Download NVidia GeForce 820M Driver v.344.48 WHQL,[Solved] Download NVidia GeForce GTX 560M VGA Driver v.296.17 Certified,Way to Update & Herunterladen NVidia GeForce GT 130M Video Treiber v.295.75 Certified,How to Update & Download SONY SVE14A1X1RH Realtek Ethernet Driver,Where to Download SONY SVS13A2W9ES Bluetooth Driver (Intel) v.2.6 - 220.127.116.11059,Best Way to Update & Download SONY VGN-CR203E Conexant HDAUDIO SoftV92 Data Fax Modem with SmartCP Setup Program v.18.104.22.168 driver,Best Way to Download SONY VGN-FE790G/N Wireless LAN Driver v.10.6.0.29,Method to Update & Download SONY VGN-NR31Z/S Firmware Extension Parser Device v.22.214.171.124,How to Fix Error 0x0000c1f5 Solución?,Error 0x80071a91 Win7 Fix Patch,Error 0x800ccc60 Windows Live Mail [Solved],Error Message 0x800ccc79 Outlook 2000 Fix,What is Error 0xc1ab0001?,[Answered] x64 saplugin dll,How to Fix Problem - Kb943729 Download?,Troubleshooting: Bccode D1 Error,Java Runtime Tech Support,Troubleshooting: ERROR NO SUCH GROUP Error
Read More: Fast Solution to Problem: custom color bar chart,Solution to Error: dell inspiron m5010 7 beeps,[Solved] Deleting hundreds of email messages at once,,How to Fix Problem - Date and Time Field: code instead of a date?,[Solution] De-activating admin accounts.